Feeling reluctant to spend hundreds of dollars on a Halloween costume? Fear not, there are plenty of costumes you can make with more affordable materials at home!
1. French Fries
Fries before guys, right?
-1 cardboard box that you can fit yourself comfortably into
-red paint or red poster boards
-ribbon or string
-cardboard knife or another tool that can cut cardboard
-hot glue gun
- Cut the top and bottom parts of the cardboard box (so that you can wear the box). Feel free to cut the top edges in a curve so they match the curves of the McDonald’s French fries boxes.
- Paint the outside of the box red, or cut out and attach red poster paper onto each side.
- Cut out two holes about ½ inch below the top edge on the front and back sides. Make sure the holes are large enough to be able to insert the ribbon/string straps of your choice.
- Measure out how much ribbon/string you would need to make the straps long (or short) enough for your arms to have the French fries box at your preferred length. Tie the ribbon/string to make two secure arm straps.
- Cut out multiple rectangular pieces of yellow foam. The number and size are dependent on your personal preference, but about 10-12 pieces of foam with a square base of 1½ inch are recommended.
- Use hot glue to attach the yellow foam to the interior edges of the box. Gluing them so that they are of uneven lengths makes them more realistic!
- Hop into the box, pull on the arm straps, and enjoy!
2. Alternate French Fries
For those who don’t want to lug themselves in a box for the whole evening.
-red poster paper
-yellow poster paper
-black sharpie or paint
-ribbon or string
-glue or tape
- Cut the red poster paper into the shape of the front of a French fries box.
- With the black sharpie or paint, color in the box’s opening at the top.
- Draw on the yellow paper a number of fries as they would be if poking out from the French fry box opening.
- Cut out the drawing of the fries and attach them to the “opening” of the fries box.
- Take the hole punch and make two holes around the top right and left corners of the Fries box.
- Measure out how much ribbon/string you would need to make the straps long (or short) enough for your arms to have the French fries box at your preferred length. Tie knots of the ribbon/string at each punched hole so that the French fries poster hangs around the wearer’s neck.
- Put on the strap, and enjoy!
Illustration by Kaylin Pak